The holidays have officially come and gone, and we hope you had a safe, happy, and healthy end of 2017/start of 2018! Sadly, with this joyful season behind us, it’s time to put away the lights and decorations until the holidays return towards the end of 2018. For many of us, that means taking down and stowing away Christmas Tree lights and ornaments, then finding a place to get rid of the tree itself.
Perhaps because of the exceptionally cold weather you’ve put it off until now, but you’ve got until January 15th to take advantage of the city’s annual tree recycling program. If you’re one of those looking to get rid of your tree, there are currently 25 different free, drop-off recycling locations around town. Dropping off your tree at the recycling center is a bit more sustainable than simply tossing it with the heavy waste…tree recycling gives the object behind your warm Christmas memories new life as mulch, compost, or soil. This lowers greenhouse gas emissions, promotes water conservation and returns organic material back into the environment (insert smiley with sunglasses emoji).
The locations are listed below and plotted above on our handy map. In addition, residents who have City of Houston collection services can place their trees on the curb for pick up on their scheduled Tree Waste days. The trees must have all decorations, ornaments, tinsel, lights and stands removed. Flocked trees cannot be recycled.
Here are more details on Houston’s 27th Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program.
OPEN Wednesday – Sunday 9 AM to 6 PM
- Central Neighborhood Depository – 2240 Central St.
- Kirkpatrick Neighborhood Depository – 5565 Kirkpatrick
- Sommermeyer Neighborhood Depository – 14400 Sommermeyer
- N. Main Neighborhood Depository – 9003 N. Main
- Southwest Neighborhood Depository – 10785 SW Freeway
- Sunbeam Neighborhood Depository – 5100 Sunbeam
OPEN Monday – Saturday 8 AM to 5 PM
- Westpark Consumer Recycling Center – 5900 Westpark
OPEN DAILY, 9 AM to 6 PM
- Kingwood – Bens View Lane @ Bens Branch Drive
- Doss Park (gates close at 5) – 2500 Frick Road
- Memorial Park (Ball Fields 4 and 5) – 7300 Memorial Drive
- T.C. Jester Park – 4200 T.C. Jester West
- Elington Airport Recycling Drop-off –HWY 3 @ Brantley Road
OPEN Monday – Friday 7 AM to 5 PM and Saturday 7 AM to 12 PM
- Living Earth – 5802 Crawford Rd.
- Living Earth – 1503 Industrial Drive
- Living Earth – 1700 HWY 90A East
- Living Earth – 12202 Cutten Road
- Living Earth – 16138 Highway 6
- Living Earth – 5210 S. Sam Houston Pkwy E
- Living Earth – 27733 Katy Freeway
- Living Earth – 10310 Beaumont Highway
- Living Earth – 17555 I-45 South
- Living Earth – 20611 US Hwy 59
- Living Earth – 1000 Dickinson Ave.
- Living Earth – 16717 Katy Freeway No longer accepting Christmas Trees
- Living Earth – 16955 Katy-Hockley Rd
- Living Earth – 9306 FM523 (Lake Jackson)
- Christmas tree
- Christmas Tree Drop-off
- Christmas Tree Pickup
- Christmas tree recycling
- City of Houston
- City of Houston Tree Waste Pickup
- Curbside Christmas Tree Pickup
- Houston Tree Waste Pickup